Friday, December 10, 2010

What are you often nostalgic for?

Last night our family had dinner; sharing news, events, funny stories and many laughs. My brothers youngest daughter (14months) kept us entertain with her infectious smile and sheer cuteness. (yes i am biased - lol)

As I sat by the pool this morning with the sun warming my back, I got to thinking about being home and all of the great memories I had here and whether I would move back.

Then as universe would have it, I came across a post on Facebook by a friend from Southern California about an upcoming radio interview on the topic of nostalgia and it started immediately. With the joys of internet radio I was able to stream the call live.  

Caitriona Reed shared some wonderful points throughout the interview and it got me thinking about what was I nostalgic for? what did I miss most?

The answer was quite simple - 2 years ago when I decided to move to Melbourne, I was in a relationship with man who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. I am nostalgic for him, those days, time shared.

Caitriona talked of the fact that nostalgia can produce both a good or a less than desirable result and that it is important to understand the underlying personal emotional pull towards that time or event. It is not so much the event that you yearn for but for the emotion present in you at that time.

For me, I had connection at a level and intensity I had never felt before and longing for it in the future with someone else or reminiscing about a time past isn't going to help me have it for myself NOW - The joy of being a NLP Master Results Practitioner is that with a simple NLP Coach technique, I was able to learn from my nostalgia and gift myself connection and remember that I can always have it here and now and with all the intensity I can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment