Friday, May 20, 2011

Anita Heiss' Black Book Challenge (BBC)

I was living with my Nana, Brisbane Elder, Aunty Ruth Hegarty as she wrote and was awarded for her first autobiographical manuscript that become her first published book Is that you, Ruthie?
It was Nana's love of reading that really blossomed my own passion as Nana past on many books that she had recently read to me.

I still consider myself an avid reader, regularly reading on the Tram, or whilst walking or just finding a bit of rare spot in the Melbourne sun. So tomorrow at ACMI at Federation Square, I am hoping to sit in with Author, Anita Heiss at the Melbourne and Victorian launch of her latest tale, Paris Dreaming. But this is not about Anita's latest book instead about a recent post by Anita that got me thinking how little Black/Aboriginal Authors I have read.

I had no idea that there are over 5000 published Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in Australia (see Black Words), and as I read Anita's blog of here TOP 100, I was horrified to see how narrow my reading has been til now. Anita's concedes that whilst the list is endless, these are easily some of her ‘must reads’ that she recommend to us.

Check out Anita's post and let me know how many you have read and what your next will be. For me, I am going to read Anita's latest, but have noted a few the next time I am at my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment