Monday, March 15, 2010

Practice Practice Practice

Today was one of those days when I got to see that all of the practice is actually getting me more of the education I want. Today I saw that HOW I am doing practice has changed so drastically that I even inspired myself when I realised WHAT I was doing.

For the past 12months I have had the opportunity to work with some amazing teachers and artists involved with Pecan Summer and the Victorian College of Arts. One of the true heart and souls for me is Vocal Coach, Toni Lalich, who was always pushed me further than I thought I was capable of but never too far in advance of where I was.

One of the pearls of wisdom from Toni's years as an artist and teacher is the concept of practising until you can't get it wrong. This is a very different thinking to the more commonly actioned belief of practice till you get it right. And today I got it!

My thinking has shifted and today I focused not on practising to get it right (once) but on practising and revising to work out what I needed to do so I couldn't get it wrong.

As Proffesor Higgins said referring to Eliza Dolittle "By Jove! I think (s)he's got it"

No comments:

Post a Comment